ASHTANGA YOGA AT THE SHALA – ALL ARE WELCOME!
Our Ashtanga and Mysore classes are taught by Level 2 KPJAYI Authorized Teacher, Russell Case. http://www.downtownyogashala.com/apps/mindbody/staff/100000232
Traditional Ashtanga Classes
Mysore Ashtanga – All Levels, Beginners to Experienced students, 6:30-9:00am, Monday-Friday
Mysore is the best and most effective way of learning Ashtanga. (If you are new to Ashtanga, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a private orientation/class ($25 which can be applied to your Mysore membership).
We offer Ashtanga Yoga in its traditional form, where the practice is shared directly from teacher to student. Each student is addressed individually. Mysore is not
unguided - it is self-paced practice, based on your breath. All levels, beginners to advanced students, practice together in a supportive community environment. Students work directly with the teacher to gradually memorize, refine and integrate the sequence of poses so that they develop a flowing, consistent and established yoga practice. It doesn’t take long to learn. Beginners start with a shorter practice that evolves into a longer practice as they gain strength and flexibility. Be patient and remember that a regular, consistent practice, at least 2-3 times a week to start, is recommended to learn the posture sequence, and see the many benefits to mind and body accrue. On MOON DAYS**
(see schedule below), Ashtanga is not traditionally practiced.
Join us and experience the beauty of a Mysore-style class. Mysore is unique and like no other yoga class you’ve ever tried. It is quiet, meditative, supportive – and fun!Why Mysore style practice?
- Convenience: after your first Mysore class, you can arrive any time, giving yourself enough time to do your practice, and leave when you are done.
- Individualized instruction: Even though we’re all working on the same sequences, no two practices or people are alike. Your practice is based on your ability, not that of the group. The teacher assists everyone individually, as needed. It’s like private yoga, but in a group setting.
- Self-Paced: You don’t need to keep up or slow down for a group class. If you want a rigorous workout, you can get one. If you need to take it slowly, you can do that, too.
- You can take it to the next level: If you have and intermediate or advanced practice, you can take it to the next level in Mysore class.
- Let’s beginners be beginners: In Mysore class, you are never pushed beyond your ability or put into a situation that may not be appropriate for your strength or flexibility – and you don’t get lost in the group.
- Note: Anyone can observe a Mysore class for free, anytime. Please email email@example.com to arrange a visit.
Doors open 6:15am, opening chant starts around 7am. Please plan to be in your finishing poses by 8:30am.
Led Modified Ashtanga Primary Series – Beginners to Intermediate Thursdays 7-8:30pm
This led class is for students of all levels, new to seasoned Ashtanga practitioners. Some yoga experience is recommended. We instruct the group as a whole though half or sometimes more of the Ashtanga Primary Series, with some alignment instructions provided. New students are guided with wisdom and patience, more seasoned students can work to their own potential. Gentle pranayama, meditation, and/or Yoga philosophy are taught, at the discretion of the teacher.
Led Ashtanga Full Primary Series – All Levels 90 Minutes, Saturdays, 7-9am
This led class moves through all of the Ashtanga Primary Series in sequence. This class is for Ashtanga practitioners, or for those with a consistent and strong Vinyasa or Power Yoga practice (we suggest Mysore or Led Modified for those who are new). This class helps students develop the discipline of following the rhythmic breath count of the traditional led Ashtanga Primary series practice. Minimal instruction or assists in this class (if you want assists, take Mysore class with us!). Rather, it is a flowing, breathing practice in community with the teacher’s breath and the breath of the collective class.